We went to a Pow-wow. You heard me. I said pow-wow. My husband gave me a raised eyebrow "huh?" when I told him what our plans were for the day. It seemed normal enough to me--like going to the county fair or the zoo. Growing up, we attended many pow-wows in an attempt to explore our family history of Creek and Cherokee and find entertainment.
Basically, it's a bunch of people from one tribe or another who gather together (with campers and tents and such) to sell crafts and jewelry in booths and promote their culture through music, dancing, storytelling, etc.
Apparently, Friday mornings are not the best time to go, because there was a very small turnout. The vendors seemed to be just setting up when we got there. Others seemed to be just waking up and stretching in front of their campers.
So even though Sopchoppy wouldn't normally be my first choice in entertainment recommendations, I do recommend attending a pow-wow sometime. It can be educational and fun. Noodle got to experience a different kind of music and dance than she'd ever known. Hopers really got into it and bobbed her head and body up and down to the rhythm. Seth even stopped raising his eyebrow after a while.
5 comments:
cool! That's so fun :) I would love to go to something like that :) Maybe next year we can join you :) (we'll be in town this time next year) :) That's a cute picture too :) I bet those drums they got were really fun on the car ride home :) Awesome!
My Friend, owns the one seafood restaurant in Sopchoppy. I don't know if he's still there anymore. It's been a long time.
Your friend may still be in Sopchoppy, but I doubt the restaurant is. The few places that we saw seemed to be closed down. I think there was one restaurant open, but it wasn't seafood!
Sounds like fun! I love going to things like that Todd does re-enactments like that sometimes. He's got full Seminole garb and can teach the history and teach anyone how to play stickball! So anytime you want Noodle to learn about the Seminoles you just let us know! :)
Im jealous. I want to do fun things like that.
Post a Comment