Monday, August 18, 2008

Thieves

I can now check off "burglary & theft" from my "Bad Things That Could Happen to You" list. No, I haven't unintentionally started a career as a cat burglar. I mean that someone has now done this to me, my family, and my home. Breaking and Entering. Robbery. Piracy. Plundering. Looting. Making a Big Mess.

It happened on Friday. Seth was at work. The girls and I had decided to go with some friends to Maclay Gardens for some fun and exercise at the lake. We left early that morning, about 8:45, to meet at another friend's house for carpooling. I had felt a little rushed, not wanting to be late, but still took the time to lock all the doors and turn out all the lights. I pulled the car out of the garage, pressed the "close" button on my visor remote, and zipped down the street.

We had a great time at the lake. The kids played on the playground while the moms exercised. Afterwards, we all relaxed in the cool, shallow water of Lake Hall. By the time we left, it was past lunch, edging toward naptime.

As I always do upon returning home, I opened the garage with the remote and pulled the car into it. Only, something was strange: the door leading into the house was hanging wide open.

"That's odd," I muttered. "I'm pretty sure I closed the door." While not very likely, it wasn't beyond me to forget the door. Perhaps Noodle had gone back inside and forgotten to close it. I did my best to mentally explore all of the non-scary options, trying to squelch the spreading uneasiness in my gut.

"What's the matter, Mama?" Noodle asked, unbuckling her seatbelt. "Is there someone in our house?"

"Just stay in the car for a second, guys. Let me just look..." I left Hopers buckled in her carseat, and Noodle, who has not listened to me, opens her car door to get out. Stepping up toward the open door of the house, I realize that the components to our family tent are dumped out and scattered on the top step in front of the doorway. Where is the bag? Maybe Seth was here?

I slowly pass through the doorway and into the kitchen. All of my cabinets are open. Hmm...if Seth was here, he sure was in a hurry to find something. My gaze scans through the opening in the far wall that reveals the living room and back door. It is also open. The feeling in my gut becomes a stabbing feeling, and I quickly glance at the spot by the television where I'd been keeping my digital camera and video camera handy. The spot is empty.

I can no longer explore any non-scary options in my mind. This has really happened. Someone has been in my house! But wait, what if they're still in my house? I grab the phone off the charger in the kitchen and dive into the garage with it.

"Okay," I say in my most matter-of-fact voice. "We are going to get back in the car now." Inside, my heart is pounding its hardest against my ribs. Outside, I am as collected as possible.

Noodle, who is no dummy, immediately begins to freak out. "Oh no!! Is there someone in our house? Did they take all my toys? Oh no!! Whatdowedoooo?! I don't wanna die!"

While trying to calm Noodle down (and Hopers, who is starting to cry because her sister is crying) by reassuring her that robbers don't steal stuffed animals, I pull the car out into the driveway, call Seth, then 911, then my friend who's husband is a police officer.

There were a lot of emotions to go through once the police arrived and the investigation began.
I was SAD over the loss of so many of my belongings at once. The thieves took all of the electronics they could carry--digital camera & video camera, the Wii and all of it's games and components, the Wii Fit (oh no! now the the world will know how much I weigh!). They took all of my jewelry, including my engagement ring and two family heirloom rings that I was saving for the girls. They stole miscellaneous items like the girls' nightlight. (What kind of sick-o steals a little girl's nightlight??) Oh yeah, and the bag to the tent? It was gone too, used as a means of carrying all of my stuff away. Wondering what they didn't steal? My computer. My laptop (it was hiding). The TV (a piece of junk--I couldn't have paid them to take it). The DVD player (??). The guns (it's really hard to steal a 5 foot tall, locked gun safe).

I was ANGRY and DISGUSTED that some punks had been in my home and gone through my things. They destroyed our back door--the point of entry. It had been ripped open with a crowbar, breaking the frame and bending the metal door. They ransacked the house, opening cabinets, spilling the contents, looking for drugs (ha ha! we don't have any!). The couch cushions were tossed. The bed mattress was moved (I never keep anything there anyway), and the contents of my closet were dumped all over my bedroom.

I was GRATEFUL that we weren't home when someone decided to do this. The Lord protected us from something that could have been much worse. I'm grateful for friends who came to our aid immediately, so that we had a new door by the end of the day (and a cheesecake). I'm glad we have homeowners' insurance. I'm grateful I had just downloaded all of my pictures and videos off of my cameras, so none of those memories are lost. I'm glad the punks were dumb and left finger prints and shoe prints all over my house, and even spoke to my neighbor, leaving us with a physical description of them and their car.

But all in all, it's just a terrible thing. I think the word of the day would have to be "violated" because that is the most overwhelming emotion. At one point, I remember Noodle asking me why somebody would do this, and I replied, "Because they don't have Jesus in their hearts, so they only know how to do bad things. We should pray for them." And it's true. The world is a place full of evil, but there is a day coming when the scales of justice will be weighed. I have had this song stuck in my head for days now:

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death
Your perfect love is casting out fear
And even when I’m caught in the middle of the storms of this life
I won’t turn back
I know You are near

And I will fear no evil
For my God is with me
And if my God is with me
Whom then shall I fear?
Whom then shall I fear?

Chorus:
Oh no, You never let go
Through the calm and through the storm
Oh no, You never let go
In every high and every low
Oh no, You never let go
Lord, You never let go of me

And I can see a light that is coming for the heart that holds on
A glorious light beyond all compare
And there will be an end to these troubles
But until that day comes
We’ll live to know You here on the earth

Chorus:
Yes, I can see a light that is coming for the heart that holds on
And there will be an end to these troubles
But until that day comes
Still I will praise You, still I will praise You

11 comments:

Andrea said...

Oh my goodness Tara!!! That is so sad and scary! Thank God you and the girls are safe. What punks!

Kara said...

How awful! I am glad you can see the positives things from this, like your pics from your camera. So glad you weren't home when it happened. I'll pray for your peace of mind and safety.

Julie Alley said...

I just had that song in my head. Like, I was just singing it when I went to your blog. weird! it's a God-thing!

Jeremy's fam said...

I am singing the theme song to Super Why. I wish the super readers could have saved the day and got your stuff back. I hope the camera works for you. I have a downloader thing to give you Friday. :) I'm glad yall are safe!

Meg in Tally said...

How awful! They must have been watching you leave the house.

I can truly empathize with the "violated" feeling. My apt was broken into when I was a college student. The ONLY thing they took was my full silverware chest. My mom (who had died the year before) had saved coupons for YEARS to give me a full set of Oneida (stainless) silverware --even with all the serving pieces.

I was so scared to even sleep in my apt alone after that. The first night was the worst.

I'll pray for your comfort and peace.

Since it wasn't real silver they probably got less than $50 back then...but it meant the world to me!

Laura said...

Sweetness is still praying for you guys (as am I). She is so sensitive to these sorts of things.

Kahlua Keeping Koala said...

UGH. I'm so sorry.

Gabbs said...

Man, Tara, I'm really sorry this happened. I'll be praying for you guys, and for these people to be caught. And yeah, what's with the nightlight anyway? Thats so weird.

Just1More said...

The greatest loss was Noodle's sense of security in her own home. I hope we can get that back for her. I'm glad Hopers is too little to understand much. Love from Amie

Paige said...

ick...sorry girl! let me know if I can do anything!

SouthAsiaRocks said...

Oh wow! Man, that really stinks! I'm so sorry you had to go through all that... Yay for homeowners insurance... too bad it doesn't pay for someone to come and clean your house though :) I'm so sorry...
Great song - now I have it stuck in my head though :)