Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Homeschool Meets the Princess and the Bean

I tend to shy away from talking about our homeschooling activities here. Perhaps because I secretly think you'll be bored if I talk about addition worksheets and crayons. Perhaps because I secretly think you'll judge me for my addition worksheets and crayons.

In actuality, I know neither is true. We're good friends, right? No judging here. Just a bunch of people trying to figure out life. And boring? Well, around my house, homeschooling is rarely boring. Between the first and second paragraph of this post Hopers tried to glue her hair to her paper. We had to have an impromptu shampooing session in the sink. Nope, never a dull moment.

So, here's my attempt at including more of this major part of our lives here on AllHisBlessings. I'm writing about school.

Usually, in the past, if I have posted anything about school, it involved a craft. What can I say? I like crafts. We don't even do a structured craft every day, so don't get the wrong idea. I'm not that structured. But the girls always paint or draw or something. Freestyle art. Yeah.

Anyway, today, we were structured. Hopers needed some reinforcement on the letter N. Noodle joined in because she needed a break from place-value notation and spelling words with the short e sound. I gave them each a piece of paper with a block letter N drawn on it. Then they got bowls filled with dry beans and noodles and bottles of glue. I think its imperative to childhood to make a dried bean and noodle picture or two. Like a rite of passage.








The noodles were shaped like shells. Hopers thought they looked like cradles, so the pinto beans became babies. Suddenly, there was a whole row of talking baby pinto beans in cradles on her project. (In Hopers' world, everything talks.) She finished her letter N and wandered off to play, holding a handful of bean babies. Noodle went back to her worksheets. Later I saw this:






Let me introduce Baby Princess Pinto Bean. I knew that letter N bean and noodle project would make an impact.

Shhh.... I think the bean is taking a nap.

1 comment:

Mar said...

I love the imagination it takes to bring a bean and a shell into the land of princess