Really, though, I love it. There's something amazing about scattering these tiny vessels into the dirt and watching them grow into beautiful living forms that constantly change. It's basically like raising children, if you think about it, only without the whining and arguing.
In the spring, my girls begged to grow watermelons. I'd never attempted them before because we hadn't had a large sunny area to grow them. I wasn't even sure if they would grow at all. But, being a sucker for trying new things and the awesome seductive power that watermelons hold on my taste buds, I said okay.
And they grew.
Hello, my little friend.
There are probably twenty or thirty of these "Sugar Baby" watermelons developing into juicy goodness out there. We ate our first one this week. It probably could have stayed on the vine longer if I had realized sooner that it was sitting on the grass. Apparently, that's a no-no. It developed a small soft spot on the rind where it rested on the decaying vegetation underneath. So we picked it.
Best watermelon ever. It was just right to cut into four pieces (one for each of us). We dug our faces in and had a seed spitting contest down the sidewalk at the same time. It was so sweet that even the green part was delectable like a cucumber. I drool just remembering it.
Did you know watermelons and cucumbers are in the same family? Circubits, they're called. I love knowing what things are called. It's a weird thing going on in my brain.
Oh, and you know what else I love? These.


2 comments:
Love watermelons! Love Noodle and Hopers too!
Yumm!!!
Post a Comment