Thursday, November 18, 2010

Running and Hunting

While running in the woods, it seems there are always interesting things to see.  This time of year in Florida, hunting season has begun.  Technically, though, it's only bow hunting season in our county.  But the hunters are out in full force.  One reason I know this is because of this:


They're empty shotgun shells, for those of you who have no knowledge and/or interest in gun stuff.  They're all over my dirt road I run down.  Either some people are (ahem) "jumping the gun" on firearms season, or they're just out practicing.  However, I know for sure that plenty of people are doing more than just practicing.  Yesterday, on our way into town, we saw a dirty SUV parked in front of the local lumber store.  Strapped to the back bumper were two dead bucks, tongues hanging, wounds still dripping.  A group of camo and plaid-clad men stood around, admiring it.  My dear hubby even did a u-turn in the road and drove through the parking lot just so he could get a better look at the game.  I rolled my eyes and slouched in my seat, of course, hoping nobody I knew saw us.  Seth and I have an ongoing discussion about hunting, where he wants me to take an interest in it and even go hunting with him, and I say, "Honey, we like a lot of the same things!  It's okay if we have a hobby or two that the other doesn't share in.  And I don't want to share in the hunting hobby!"

But hunting is hard to get away from around here.  On my run today, not only did I find shotgun shells in the road, but I also found someone's leg.  I nearly tripped on it.  (Caution!  Find a craft blog to read today instead of mine if you have a weak stomach.)













Yeah.  That someone is a deer of course, but still...  ew.

I found it just before mile 1.  It left me wondering what else I was going to find, possibly a tail, or the word "help" stamped out in deer footprints at mile 3?  So I ran all the way to mile 3, just to find out.  Or to possibly work on my goal for the half-marathon in February--either way.  Actually, I ran to mile 3.25 and back, which is six and a half miles!  Personal best, thank you very much.  I even developed a new mile marker there, which is "the next unnamed road on the left, after open tree area."  Thankfully, there were no more body parts.

And you know what else I discovered today?  Well, it has to do with the fact that I have hip pain when I run. I didn't know why, but after a few miles, my hips would just start to feel terrible, like my joints were grinding together.  I had been wondering if something was wrong with me--if I would even be able to run much farther than I already do.  Well, today, at the 3.25 mile mark, I stopped.  And I STRETCHED.  Yep.  I did toe touches and (okay, so I can't actually touch my toes, but I did toe reaches--don't laugh at me) hamstring stretches and stuff.  Just for about 60 seconds.

Then I turned around and ran back home another 3.25 miles.  It felt awesome!  Yes, the hip pain came back near the end, but I made it.  It gave me hope.  Hope to add another 6.5 miles at some point in the future.

Hopefully by February.



So the moral of this story is:  If you're ever running in the woods, make sure to stretch, and watch out for body parts.

No comments: