Sunday, October 16, 2011

I'll Have the Snake Dumpling Please

Last night we decided to venture out of the hotel for dinner on our own.  Our guide, Jocelyn, suggested the names of two places.  I googled them and drew myself a quick map.  We couldn't find one of the restaurants, our first choice.  The second choice was a Cantonese seafood restaurant called Meijing.  Seafood restaurants are always a little scary in China because the food is all out on display--alive.  It's a bit like going to a pet store.  There are big tanks of water filled with fish, crabs, eels, turtles, lobsters, and more.

As we were being seated, I noticed this:

I'm pretty sure that's a crocodile tail.

And then there were these guys.

My children even have pet snakes, but this gave me nightmares later.  Seriously.

We managed to order. Somehow.  No one in the entire restaurant spoke more English than "hello" and my Cantonese is non-existent.  We got a sweet saucy fish with the head and tail still on.  It tasted kind of like apple pie.  We also ordered some dumplings that looked like jellyfish washed up on the shore, and a seafood fried rice that came in a half of a pineapple.  Everything was really, really good.  I guess we were rewarded for our bravery.  I ate way too much. Maybe that's why my dreams were crazy.

Or it was the fact that there were caged snakes on the menu.... who knows.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Oh my...I'm going to have snake nightmares too! I can't imagine how gross it was watching them slither.