Saturday, October 24, 2009

Eight Years Old in the Magic Kingdom

Yesterday was Noodle's birthday. She is now eight years old. What?? She's eight? Uh huuuhhhh. (That's what happens inside my brain every time I remember that my child is so old.)

And here is the lovely Birthday Girl on her birthday--celebrating in the best way any kid under 120 years of age might want to celebrate. At. Disney. World.


Yep, instead of the regular ole cake and candles same thing as last year deal, we (The Most Fantastic Parents In The World) took her to the most magical place on earth where all your dreams come true! Or, well, some dreams. Like having a gigantic lollipop. I can't believe I didn't take a picture of this, but the first thing Noodle wanted to do at Disney was get a lollipop as big as her head. And she did. The eyeballs of every child we passed seemed likely to bulge out of his or her little head over that lollipop. Its swirl of hypnotizing sweetness attracted the stares of most adults, too. Hopers also got a lollipop (she couldn't be left out of the dream) and proceeded to bite large chunks from it, leaving a trail of pink and white candy behind us all over the park. I have to add that neither one of them finished their lollipops. And ALL of us got tired of the stickiness long before the confection could be consumed.

Disney officials at the gate gave Noodle a big button to pin on her shirt that proudly announced her birthday status in bold lettering above her name. Everywhere, park employees shouted out, "Happy Birthday!" to her. They even sang/shouted to her as we ordered our lunch from one of the cafeterias.



Now before you start thinking we're insane for going ALL OUT for our daughter's birthday, it may not be what you think. For starters, anyone who shows up at Disney on his birthday (this year) can get in for free (provided he can prove it). So Noodle was free. Not only that, but the rest of our tickets were free also! No, not because of the birthday thing. BECAUSE... a few months ago, Seth was listening to the radio and heard a contest to win Disney tickets announced. He called home, begged me to go online and write a short essay about "Why My Family Should Go To Disney World." I, of course, promptly told him no. Why should I bother entering a radio contest? I never win anything. Who even wins those things anyway? Not me. Cause, wellllll I've never actally entered a radio contest. Hmm.



Then I changed my mind. I wrote a hundred measly words.



We won. We cheered. I secretly vowed to enter more radio contests.



So, we saved our tickets, knowing the crowds would be down along with the temperature in late October. Noodle's birthday was a good excuse to go. She was so extremely thrilled and excited that "thank you's" constantly tumbled from her lips. Her favorite ride was most definitely (says she) Thunder Mountain, followed closely by Splash Mountain. Near the end of the day, the lines were nearly non-existant, and we were able to go on TM three times in a row. Noodle could barely stand up from all the enjoyment.








Hopers, being the tallest 3-year-old east of the Mississippi, was able to go on any ride she pleased at the Magic Kingdom (especially since Space Mountain was shut down for renovations). She loved the thrill of the roller coasters, but felt better if she were holding someone's hand on the way down.




Her favorite ride was Buzz Lightyear, though.





Of course, we couldn't drive four and a half hours to Orlando, go to the theme park, and drive back all in one day. (I think that might have killed me, because I was half-dead as it was.) So, we drove down the day before and stayed in a hotel. This was all part of the fun for the girls (and us adults) because we don't vacation much. We made use of the fine dining in the area and took the girls to Chick-fil-a for dinner. We took a long walk. We relaxed in the hot tub.


We all had a great time. Now, I'd better finish this post so I can start polishing up my radio contest skills for Hopers' birthday.

2 comments:

Elaine Roberts said...

Well of course you won a writing essay. DUH! Anyone who can think of words like confection in a blog is going to win a writing contest. I'm glad yall had fun!

Laura said...

Glad you had fun. It has been a cool year for us taking each of the kiddos for their day.