Monday, October 17, 2011

A New Tate and Another Park

Today we had to go back to the clinic on Shamian Island to have Tate's TB test checked.  He was fine, of course.  But once we were on the island it was too tempting to leave quickly again.  We stayed for a while and enjoyed the atmosphere again.



Our little Tater-tot has really changed each day from the shy little stoic-faced doll we were given a week ago.  He is a character now.  He suddenly started talking yesterday.  Out of nowhere, he went from completely mute to a chatterbox of noises and baby talk.  He says "bye-bye", "mama", "ba" for pick me up, and does raspberries with his mouth.  He makes silly faces at us.



He experiences everything like a little baby instead of a two year old.  Everything seems new to him.  We found a playground on a fourth floor courtyard of the hotel.  He didn't know what to do.  He sat himself on the curb.  Mom led him over and gently showed him how to climb.  He had never climbed before.  He had never been down a slide before.


Once he learned though, there was no stopping him!

By the afternoon, it was nap time again for Mom and Tate, and I went out for my daily constitutional.  I found another park I'd seen on the map--this time by going through the subway tunnels.




The park was gorgeous.


 Some paths twisted like mazes through jungle growth.



Others spread out straight and neat in the warm sun.



There were people everywhere caring for the landscape.  This lady had a stick and was individually flicking the fallen tree leaves from the top of these bushes.

"What's your job?"

"Oh, I'm a leaf-flicker."


One funny thing I've noticed in all of the parks I've been in is that people like to take their shoes off here.  Young and old.




Middle-aged and older ladies are often found dancing--silently or with musical accompaniment.  There's also a lot of card-playing groups.



This lady was doing movements and stretches in front of this hill of sheep/goat statues.




Other things I found in the park:

An indoor/outdoor "plant museum".



Some crusty carnival rides.



Lots of goldfish.


Lots of trash.



The whole while, I could hear the rush and jostle of the city just beyond the wall.

1 comment:

Kelley said...

OH. WOW. So that is what I get for leaving bloggy world for so long. I had no idea you were adopting...what a beautiful, beautiful thing for me to discover! I can't wait to go back and see the whole story. Tate is super cute...may the Lord bless you in this new adventure.