Thursday, October 13, 2011

Wanderings

After the visit to Tate's orphanage, we've had some more down time.  There's been nothing to do, but wait for Tate's passport to process (which we now have in our hands).  During this down time, I had a chance to do some wandering.  Wandering is so fun, because there's always something to see in the city.  It almost seems like no one works, because there are always, always lots of people out walking around, sitting, talking, eating, waiting for a bus, taking pictures, etc.  People watching is the best.  It's funny, though, because in China, when you don't look Chinese, you stick out like a sore thumb and people watch you back.

For example, I was taking a picture of this monument thingy in the middle of the city square.


See those people on the right?  They're staring at me.

Yep. Still staring.

It's like this all of the time.  I suppose when you live in a country full of billions of people who all have the same hair color, eye color, and facial features, it's pretty shocking to see someone different.  It's especially shocking in a smaller city like Jinan where the international tourists are minimal.  My mom has it even worse with her blond hair.  At least I can pass for Chinese from a distance.

So yes, wandering is really interesting.

The city square has been a favorite spot of mine this week.  It's right across the street from our hotel.  At around 2:30 in the afternoon, the fountains come on with a show that is choreographed to music.  It's really beautiful.




While I was watching the fountain, I think I had my picture taken at least four times.  That I know of.  These two (see below) were funny.  He was trying to be sneaky and take my picture with a cell phone, and she was embarrassed and kept laughing and telling him to stop.  I took a picture back.





Scattered around the park square were many old guys flying kites.


Way high up.







Sometimes, people will encourage their children to say "hello" to me and wave.  This little cutie and her grandma came and sat with me for a while.  We had a typical conversation of a few words and a lot of hand motions.

When the little girl's mother came up, she joined in and then wanted to see the picture I took of her daughter.  Then, she insisted on giving me the loaf of sliced bread she had just bought at the bakery.  They were so nice!  Mom and I later made pb&j's with that bread.


 Just like it seems that the adults aren't at work, it also seems like the children aren't at school. They always seem to be everywhere.  They have a two hour break in the middle of the day and can be seen walking around the city in their various school uniforms.  After that, they go back to school until around 4:30.



Near the city square is a large shopping mall.  I think the building looks like a boat.  A big shiny metal boat.  This mirrored facade seems to be a popular choice in all the new construction.  And boy, is there some new construction.  While the rest of the world is in a slump, China is booming.  Consequently, buildings are being built on every corner.  Tower cranes fill the sky view. 





Construction site safety doesn't seem to be their strong point, however.  These guys are doing a balancing act.


With no safety tether!  Where is OSHA??




Another of my favorite spots in the city is the river walk.  It passes along side my hotel.  I could see it from my window like this:

It beckoned to me, saying, "Come down here and find me!"  So I did.  I love the willow trees.  They're planted everywhere.




I brought Tate down here for a stroll this evening while mom was resting (she wasn't feeling well).  We crossed the rocks, watched the water, the boats, the fish, and the people.  We met a woman and her four-year-old daughter who kindly insisted on sharing their fruit with us.  She practiced her English and asked me questions, telling me about how clean the river is now compared to how it used to be, and how Jinan is famous for the natural springs that create the river.


We saw several elderly people using tea kettles on ropes to scoop up water from the springs and pour into plastic jugs.  We also saw an old woman in a swim suit having a bath at the river's edge.

 Evening was coming quickly, so we had to head back to the hotel.





Tate has been so tired in the evenings, but his stubborn side is starting to show through.  Last night he insisted on sitting up in bed, even when mom laid him down twice.  He fell asleep sitting.







I'm about there myself.  Nighty night!


3 comments:

Tina och Calle said...

Tate is beautiful! Congrats! I would love to know if you saw our son in the orphanage?! I can't see him in the pictures, but if you send me an e-mail I can send you a picture of him! cmz@cmz.se

/Tina

jennt said...

Love that last pict. Says it all...
Made me think of us and God.
We can be just as stubborn, can't we?
We eventually end up in God's will, He doesn't give up either.

Paige said...

Cute Cute Boy! Gorgeous city too!!