Friday, July 10, 2009

Invitations, Friendship, and Fish

Recently, a dear friend of mine asked me to design a birthday invitation for her little boy. I've actually done invitations and designs for many of his life events, so this is nothing new. My friend could probably ask me for one of my arms and I'd give it to her, that's how dear she is to me. So, I'm her personal graphic artist. As long as she promises not to try to share me with any others as their personal graphic artist, the relationship can continue. The minute I become a barbie-spiderman-greeting card factory for the masses....I....ugh....{shudder}....Well, I'd rather not talk about that anymore.

Anyway, the reason I'm here today folks is to show you the latest creation. I think it's pretty cute. And I can't even claim the whole thing because here is what was asked of me:


"Can you make a card with a picture of a boy fishing on it? Then make another card with a fish that can be used as a ticket to get into the park? I want to attach the fish to the fishing pole."


So I mulled it over for a while. Ate fish. Went swimming. (Okay. Okay. So I would have done those things anyway...) And here is how it came out.




I sketched the boy out on paper and then scanned him into digital. Then I created the "watercolor" look using Photoshop, added text and was done. I did the same thing with the fish. This is one of my favorite illustration techniques these days. Much less messy than paintbrushes and actual pigment!

My dear friend loved it, printed it, strung up the fish, and made no effort at getting me referrals.

Isn't she a great friend?

4 comments:

Jeremy's fam said...

*sniff, sniff* thanks! I am already thinking up ideas for next year! (just kidding)
anyway, when i read the title to your blog i thought you were going to say something about the pool smelling like dead fish. i was worried. anyway, awwwww, i love you, too! you are an amazing artist and friend!

Kelley said...

Wow, that is amazing! I am oh so very jealous! I'd GLADLY give my right arm to be able to draw like that! Very cute...

Laura said...

So, I shouldn't tell anyone that you designed our recital programs last year, either?

Gabbs said...

I'd like to place an order.....


Ha ha, but really, you're so talented! I am always amazed by your work.