Hey! I thought, I know how to make a dress for little girls already! I've already practiced twice. This will be perfect! Then, my next thought was, Wait a minute. This is a baby. Those dresses I've made would swallow her up, they're so big. How can I figure out the right size for a baby...?
The brilliant idea came to me to dig out the small box of treasured baby clothes that I'd kept from my girls' baby days. Surely there was something in there to compare size with. I pulled out a little dress that had first been Noodle's and then had become Hopers'. It was one of my favorites--blue with pink and yellow roses. Made by Ralph Lauren, given to my by another dear friend, the dress had been well loved.
As I sat and reminisced, another thought washed over me. I could make this dress! It would be so adorable! Mrs. Fox would love it!
Many of you sewing people are probably thinking, UH OH.... She doesn't even know what she's getting into. And you're right. You are SO right. But I did it anyway. I couldn't bear to cut the dress apart for a pattern, of course, so I had to measure. And draw. And re-measure. And erase. And draw. And I made my own pattern from the dress. Then I used that pattern to cut out the fabric. Looking back, I was probably out of my mind. I just learned how to sew like, last week? Now I'm making my own patterns? Stop me before I hurt myself!
Okay, just kidding. I'm fine. Really. Though I may need to see a counselor about my obsession with bias tape. It's my new best friend.
Here's the result.
The front. I could just die over the bloomers. Baby girls should wear bloomers every day.
Buttons! I did buttons!
This picture also showcases how much of a not perfect seamstress I am, ie. the horizontal seam doesn't quite line up, and the gathers on the left sleeve don't match the gathers on the right.
Mrs. Fox did love her hand made gift.
I did spend way more time making it than I originally intended to.
I am totally obsessed with sewing now.
I may need intervention.




7 comments:
I love it!!! Great job! I'm totally impressed!!!
Go you!!! SO IMPRESSED!!! You made your own pattern!!!
It was totally awesome in real life. I wish I had a baby so you could make her an outfit! Not really, but I do love the bloomers and baby girls.
Beautiful! Now, You do realized you will be expected to make every baby shower and wedding shower gift you ever give from now on. :)
I am very, VERY, very impressed!!! You kinda make me sick, you... you... ARTIST you!! ♥
Beautiful!
Wow, Tara. I am actually speechless with how impressed I am. You're even more talented than you already were, if that's even possible.
Post a Comment